Monday, December 27, 2010

Carry On My Wayward Sooooon

Whenever I have a good stretch of holiday, I like to pick a TV show that I obsessively watch all the episodes of. Last Christmas it was Buffy. Seven seasons in about a week. Yeahhh!! This break is Supernatural. I just finished watching five and a half seasons and I do not regret. But I am also concsiously stopping myself from calculating all the time I spent. Well, I am currently in love.

Supernatural is the story of two brothers, Sam and Dean, who travel around America fighting monsters that are actually based on some pretty legit lore. It's scary and bloody but it doesn't take itself too seriously and the characters are great. The third season gets pretty cool because they start introducing all this religious mythology in which Sam and Dean are the opposing vessels of Hell and Heaven and angels fight demons and I'm not going to spoil it for you but WATCH because it is GOOD. And I need more people to talk to about how great it is.


The other very compelling reason to watch this show is the sheer hottttness of the protagonists.

Mira.

This is Sam.

Swooooon

and Dean



Double Swooooooon

I fell down the Wikipedia hole (you know when you start researching neurons for your bio homework and end up reading about the origins of the Easter Bunny two hours later) with Supernatural and turns out there's a whole sector of their fan base that supports the slash relationship known as Wincest. Well that's icky. But they do have an intensely codependent relationship.

My only two problems with the show are 1) everyone gets knocked unconscious all the time and realistically, half the people on the show shouldn't be able to pour milk for their cereal. Concussions are like deep fried twinkies. You can't have more than a couple without serious repercussions. 2) everyone calls everyone a "sonofabitch" and the insult kind of loses its potency after you've heard it for the millionth time and you're like "o rly him too?" Not sure you should use the same insult for the demon that killed your mom and the waiter who got your order wrong.





I spent the first three seasons thinking Dean was curiously short until I found out that Sam is 6 ft 5!! and makes everyone else look like a diminutive elf in comparison. Dean is actually a very respectable 6 ft. 1

0 comments:

Post a Comment